Getting into a healthy lifestyle can be hard. I get it.
But it doesn’t always have to be! There are so many little habits that you can adopt into your current lifestyle that will help you move towards an overall healthy life. I sometimes struggle to stay on track and to stick to healthier habits, but that’s okay! Nobody is perfect so we need to stop putting so much pressure on ourselves and stop feeling bad about having a bad day/week/month/etc. As long as you’re working on incorporating some better habits into your daily life, you’re golden. So in order to help get you jump started onto a healthier lifestyle, I’ve listed below 7 healthy habits that you should adopt today!
Drink more water and less coffee
- This one is hard for me, and most of these habits are honestly. I drink minimum like two cups of coffee every day and usually more. I like to splurge and get lattes more than I should too…But I’ve been trying to drink more water recently and it has been giving me a nice boost and physically I feel a lot better. Keeping a big ol’ water bottle on my desk and in full view definitely helps. So maybe try swapping out a cup of tea or coffee for a glass of water, or keep a pretty bottle on you all the time!
Stand up more often
- I’ll admit to being bad at this one. I work at a desk and end up in some pretty weird positions while concentrating on whatever task I’m tackling that moment. And we all know that sitting for too long is pretty bad for us, so we need to learn to stand up more! I find that having alarms set on my phone or FitBit really help to motivate me and kick my sitting habit for a better, more active one!
Swap out one unhealthy snack for a healthy one
- I have a pretty crazy sweet tooth, so this is definitely one of my favourite habits to adopt. Well, maybe not my favourite, but one of the most helpful ones haha! Swapping out an unhealthy snack could be something as simple as eating a couple squares of dark chocolate vs an entire milk chocolate bar. Or having toast with peanut butter, apples, and honey instead of sugary cereal in the morning.
Don’t skip more than 2 days of your new habit
- Since I’m trying to get back into the habit of going to the gym regularly, I find that planning out my workouts and making sure that I don’t skip over two days of working out helps a ton! This way, it’s easier to stick to your new habits, whatever they may be, and you still get 1-2 days of rest/cheats!
Squeeze in mini-workouts whenever you can
- Sometimes we don’t have time before or after work to exercise. But there are these little moments throughout the day where we can squeeze in a little movement. Maybe once a week use your lunch break to break a sweat, or go for a walk instead of sitting down for a meal. Maybe do some body-weight moves while waiting for your laundry to dry. There are plenty of moments where we can avoid sitting and doing nothing! You just have to look for them.
Slow down a bit!
- Although I just told you that you should try and workout for little bursts throughout the day, you also need to remember to chill sometimes. We get so caught up in every little thing that we forget to take a step back and relax. You don’t have to say yes to everything and have a crazy full schedule. It’s okay to veg and do nothing sometimes. We need rest days, so take one.
Savour life a little more
- Also, don’t get too obsessed with being super healthy or working out hard core and spending all of your time trying to be the best of the best. Learn to indulge and have a drink and dessert on a Wednesday night. Skip a workout to go have brunch with your friends. Life is about enjoying it and taking in pleasurable moments. So savour all that life has to offer to you (on occasion of course)!